A farmers market (also known as a green market) is retail market where farmers sells their products (local fruits and vegetables, meats, and sometimes prepared foods and beverages, etc) directly to consumers. Farmers Market typically consist of booths, tables or stands, outdoors or indoors. They are distinguished from public markets, which are generally housed in a permanent structures, and is open year-round, and offers a variety of non-farmers/producers vendors, packaged foods and non-foods products.
Farmers Market exist worldwide and varies in sizes from a few stalls to several city blocks, and are usually situated in open place, which is convenient, clean and safe for both the farmers and the consumers.
Benefits of Farmers Market
Farmers Market offers the farmers increased profits from selling their products to wholesalers, food processors, grocery stores and directly to the consumers, thereby cutting off the middle man, with no harm intended.
Also as a result, there is less transportation, less handling, less refrigeration and less in storage; as it comes directly from the farmers farm to the general public, so it is fresh and locally grown.
Most farmers market are set in many large communities other communities the farmers set up there own village stall, where they sell to the general public and these types of farmers market have huge benefits for not only the farmers, the consumers, but for the community, as well.
– It helps to maintain important social ties with the rural and urban populations.
– It generates traffic for nearby businesses.
– It provides outlets for local farmers to market and create distinction and uniqueness, that increases pride and encourage visitors to return.
– Reduction in transportation, storage, refrigeration
– It benefits the community with their outreach activities and projects, whereby the money allocated stays in the community and helps the community to grow if speaking in terms of a community farmers market.
Many consumers favor the farmers market, for a number of reasons and the benefits are great, such as:
– Reduced overhead (driving, parking, etc.)
– Fresher, seasonal and healthier foods, fruits and vegetables.
– A better and wider range of foods (organic, pasture-raised meats, free-range eggs and poultry, handmade and homemade cheeses, pepper sauce, seasonings and other locally grown and produced food items.
– A place to meet neighbors, friends, strangers, get to know the people in your community or country, chat, etc
– A place to enjoy an outdoor walk while getting needed groceries.
So why not come and go with me to the farmers market today.