This delicious cauliflower and sausage roast With cheddar cheese combination, and such a great meal to prepare. I have always loved cauliflower since I was a little girl, as well as broccoli. This recipe I borrowed. I just rather make salad with the cauliflower and spread olive oil over it. This recipe is greater.
Cauliflower and Sausage Roast With Cheddar Cheese
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning, preferably salt-free
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, if the Cajun seasoning blend is salt free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces smoked or uncured sausage, such as andouille, a lighter chicken sausage, or your favorite, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 t0 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Heat the oven to 425° F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or grease lightly with a little olive oil or butter. In a large bowl toss the cauliflower with the seasoning blend, parsley, pepper, and salt, if using. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sausage. Cook, stirring constantly, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and onion mixture to the cauliflower, ( sausage and onions are briefly sauteed, then they’re tossed with the seasoned cauliflower and roasted to perfection). Toss, drizzling with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the baking dish and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender and browned. Stir once or twice during the roasting time. Sprinkle the cheese over the top, return to the oven, and continue baking for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
A topping of Sharp Cheddar cheese finishes the dish beautifully. Serve with a light tossed salad or sliced tomatoes for a great tasting family meal. I felt the cheese and sausage added enough saltiness, but you may want to add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt if your Creole seasoning blend is salt-free.
Serves 5 to 6