Cucumber Yogurt Salad Dressing
This is a delicious, heart healthy, low calorie salad dressing which can be used as a dip for steamed or raw vegetables or as a topping for baked potatoes or steamed carrots. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 2/3 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until creamy and smooth. Chill for about 2 hours before serving. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 4 pickling or slicing cucumbers, sliced lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 10 whole cilanto leaves
- 1/4 cup red pepper, julienne (about 1 inch long)
Combine the sugar, vinegar and salt and heat in a small sauce pan until sugar has dissolved (about 5 minutes) do not boil. Set saucepan in cold water to cool the vinegar mixture. When cool, pour over cucumbers and garnish with red peppers.